Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Lightning Theif

The Lightning Thief
Rick Riordan
Rating: A
Pages:392
Age Range: 9+ for Violence
The Lightning Thief is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and it was a great one. It's all about this kid named Percy who discovers he is a "Half-Blood" which is someone who is part god. He goes to this camp called Camp Half-Blood and soon enough he is claimed as the son of Poseidon. (Yes, this book has Greek Mythology.) Then, he is accused of stealing Zeus's Master Bolt so he goes on a mission to find it.
I really had no idea this would be such a great book. The characters were beautifully made. Rick Riordan did a wonderful job making all of them seem so real! Also, the writing was great and the plot was really awesome. Not only did Rick Riordan glue me to the pages but he also made me laugh a lot. Yes, the book was very funny at parts. I guess the only con to the book was that some parts were a little slow for me but they always picked up again so don't worry about that.
You may be thinking, why would I read a book about Greek Mythology? Well, Greek Mythology is really a small factor of the book. Really, Riordan just used Gods and monsters for characters. This book is NOT a history lesson although I did learn a lot about the gods and such. I would suggest you just forget about the myths before you read it.

There are 4 more books in the series.

  • The Sea of Monsters
  • The Titans Curse
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth
  • The Last Olympian

We will defiantly review those as well. PJ is on vacation right now and he won't be back until Sunday so I guess your stuck with me until then. :)

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com : background by Babii Pink